*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Xian Ding Wei Taiwanese Tea Room

>> Monday, April 12, 2010

Venue: Xian Ding Wei Taiwanese Tea Room, Sunway Pyramid
Occasion: Gathering with uni friends
Overall comment: Pretty good food although the prices are slightly high. I find their braised pork rice really good & I can just have that for a meal!
Halal: No

Xian Ding Wei is located at the new wing of Sunway Pyramid. It's quite easily spotted, & the restaurant gives a pretty good first impression.


The interior of the restaurant is no doubt very "Chinese", or more like oriental - a very soft & cozy touch :) I kinda like the ambiance of this restaurant & am planning to bring my family here soon to try this place out (again!).


The Menu

The Taiwanese are well-known for their pearl milk tea, so we ordered a glass each. It's alike what you can get from the night market (pasar malam), just that it's tagged with a restaurant-price. I believe you can find good pearl milk tea at the night market for a minimum of RM2.50, depending on the area of the night market. I actually love pearl milk tea, especially if the "black pearls" are chewy & slightly sweetened! What I would deem as bad pearl milk tea is when the black pearls are crusted/not well cooked & are tasteless *bleagh*


Original Pearl Milk Tea (RM4.90/glass)

Champagne Pearl Milk Tea (RM4.90/glass)
At first sight, I felt that I ordered "Dynamo", the detergent for washing clothes...eeuw...there was of course ZILCH champagne taste, so I have no idea why it carries that name in the first place. It just tastes like the usual milk tea + blue colouring (loads of it!).

Iced Green Tea with Plum (RM4.90/glass)
Slightly sour, slightly salty, slightly sweet - it's quite an appetizing drink, but you've gotta fancy the taste of sour plum drink. If not, this is certainly not your call...

Each rice set comes with 1 bowl of braised pork rice, 1 bowl of soup, some side dishes, & a plate of meat. It's quite a good deal :) The portion is quite generous, so if you're not a big eater, 4 persons can share 3 sets!


Braised pork rice
I enjoyed the braised pork rice here. I never knew how it's like & what it really is, even when my colleagues were telling me about such a dish when they came back from their trip to Taiwan. With my limited competency in the Mandarin dialect, I certainly didn't know what they were really describing when they tried to describe this braised pork rice to me! Hahaha...this braised pork rice is so flavourful & it blends well with the rice that I could have just the braised pork rice alone! Yes, it's THAT good (in my personal opinion & preference)

Teppanyaki Seafood & Pork in Hot Pot Set (RM29.90/set)
It's quite an expensive set. There was nothing very expensive in the hot pot. You will just find a great load of Chinese cabbage, fish balls, squid balls, mushrooms, & vegetables. If not for the assorted balls (which there aren't many), it may as well be a vegetarian hot pot. As for the teppanyaki seafood, the prawns (2) were rather large, but they were 'old' and over-cooked. Thus, the "springy" texture of the prawn is not present anymore & you'll only get a rough-&-tough large prawn. There was quite a generous amount of chicken pieces in the teppanyaki though :) The flavour is quite delicious - sweet, spicy, salty.

Three-Cup a.k.a. "Sam Pui" Chicken Variety Set (RM18.90/set)
I love this. I really do. I just find that there wasn't enough chicken to go around! Pungent & fragrant stir-fried chicken with 3 types of sauces, placed into this small claypot to be presented. I will recommend this if you're to dine here :)

Fish with Tomatoes & Eggs Set (RM18.90/set)
Due to the fact that we ordered almost every other meat except fish, we randomly decided on this set. There's nothing much to shout about - it's basically Dory fish fillet, cut into medium bite-size pieces, & cooked with tomato sauce, onions, & egg. It feels like some cheap dish, but we just had too much chicken & pork. The girls don't eat beef...

Sweet & Sour Pork (RM1.00 - promotion: bill above RM60)
There was an ongoing promotion when we were there not too long ago. For every RM60 & above spent in a single bill, you'll get to enjoy a meat dish (if I remember correctly, it's either the sweet & sour pork or the 'sam pui' chicken only) for RM1.00. Not too bad a deal especially if you're dining here in a group of 4 persons or more. The sweet & sour pork is quite delicious.

Uni Friends :)
It was a great catch up session since we haven't met up for almost half a year!! *faints* I wonder where we'll meet next for another round of catch up & good food!


I'm thinking of bringing my family here sometime soon. It's quite a safe bet for families & older people...hahaha...especially for the generation who prefers rice to chops or anything fancy. The price is definitely higher than the usual 'dai chow', but for the taste + portion + ambiance, I think it's worth it to have a family meal here :)


Xian Ding Wei Taiwanese Tea Room - 鲜定味
OB 3, LG1.7 and 1.8, Oasis Boulevard

Lower Ground Floor

Sunway Pyramid Mall(Right next to Jusco)

Tel:
(+603) 5631 3322

Fax:
(+603) 5631 8866



Ratings:

Presentation: * * * 1/2
Price: * * *
Environment: * * * 1/2
Taste: * * *
Service: * * * 1/2


Overall:





- Ruth

8 comments:

Babe_KL April 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

the dish and crockeries looks like those i ate at Fong Lye The Gardens but looks as good

PerutBesi April 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

->babe_kl: I wonder which one tastes better! I'll go try out Fong Lye someday :)

thule a.k.a leo April 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

actually I think that their food is not that good.. tried the 3 cup chicken and sweet & sour pork at their 1Utama outlet.
Frankly, Fong Lye's version are better

Jason Wong April 12, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Similar like Fong Lye! It certainly looks quite the same. It also reminds me of Canto-i. There is one in Queensbay Mall in Penang. Have not try yet.

PerutBesi April 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

->thele a.k.a. leo: Serious?? If that's the case, I should take your word & try out Fong Lye in my next eat-out! I'm thinking of bringing my family there (XDW) for my mum's bday...if Fong Lye's better, I think I'll bring them there instead :D

->Jason Wong: Hello! thule said Fong Lye is better le...looks the same, taste different, apparently! I MUST visit Fong Lye since all 3 commentors are talking about the same great place! XD

PerutBesi April 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

->leo & jason wong: I've linked the both of u up through my foodies' list!!

Jason Wong April 12, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

My sis told me there is another branch of Fong Lye which is better. I thinks it is in Banagsar, not very sure. That branch has 'chu char'.

PerutBesi April 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

->Jason Wong: Is it?? I'll find out & try that place out. If it's good, I'll let u know! :D Thanks, Jason!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP