*Note: This site is optimised for Internet Explorer 7 /Firefox 1.5.02 & above.*

SurF tHis SitE RaNdoMly

Review: Brisik Restaurant, Jaya One

>> Thursday, April 25, 2013

Overall comment: I was actually more fascinated with their drinks than their dishes! Overall, the food was decent although the prices are slightly higher than average
Halal: Yes

Brisik is an Indonesian-Thai restaurant. You'll find all sorts of local Indonesian & Thai delights on their menu that the owner generously shares from the heart.Tucked at one corner of Jaya One, Brisik Restaurant is quite a gem to be discovered. The restaurant is located upstairs, but you can actually walk-up through it's "entrance" downstairs before Gao Ren Guan Restaurant.

I was there for a review/hangout session organized by Foodirector. It was fun meeting familiar faces as well as "new" people during such events :) We were served an array of dishes & juices to try out, but I didn't really eat much as I had to rush off for band practice in church.

Brisik's "entrance"

The interior - indoors upstairs

Here's what we were served:

 Watermelon juice (price N/A)
It's quite interesting to find fruit juices served in what I call as a "taucu" jar - the jar where you get your preserved bean sauce/paste. The juices are pretty much no-water-added/minimal-water-added & this one tastes refreshing :)

Papaya Juice (price N/A)
I am rather unadventurous. Especially when it comes to papayas, to have it in juice form feels utterly strange. I'm quite sure that it tastes good, but I just didn't want to try it out :P I'm not a big fan of papayas although I do eat them, especially the crunchy ones/the preserved ones :D

 Mango Juice (price N/A)
You'll rarely find fresh mango juices in restaurants these days, but Brisik has it! Yums!

Naturally-Colorful Juice! 

Avocado Juice with Chocolate Sauce (price N/A)
This was REALLY GOOD if you love avocados! I miss the days where I was at KK & could drink all the avocado drinks that I desire... silky-smooth blended avocados with sweet & fragrant chocolate sauce. Ah, it's the perfect drink for me!

Assam-Boi Drink (price N/A)
I didn't get to try this, but I heard that it was really sour...hahaha... 

Calamansi with Sour Plum (price N/A)
Also another sour drink...and strangely with pieces of watermelon in it! I'm very sure that this drink will wake any sleepy person up & refreshes him/her too!

Here comes the food!

Appetizer: Crispy Mushrooms & Satagor 
(RM11.00/ serving of crispy mushrooms only; RM9.00/ 3 pieces of Satagor)
Deep-fried oyster mushrooms served with Thai chilli sauce/Mixed beancurd + mixed veggie + minced chicken + potato cutlets
The deep-fried mushrooms were so-so only because the batter isn't as crispy as I wish it to be. The good thing about the fried mushrooms is that you still get the "whole" mushroom & not bits & pieces of it like how many places serve. The Satagor is alike our "bergedil" here - potatoes + meat cutlets. I'm a potato fan, so this was yums! I find it somewhat too pricey though...RM3.00/cutlet!! *faints*


Appetizer: Satay Serai (RM12.00/6 sticks)
Half a dozen of lemon grass chicken skewers
Fragrant sticks of minced chicken. It's a good alternative to the usual pieces of chicken on satay sticks, but somehow I wish the meat was "chunkier" so that it has more "bite".

Snack: Keropok Malinja (RM5.00/serving)
Malinja/Cokok/Gnemon (in English) is actually a fruit that is bitterish. According to a website that I've found here, the Malinja fruit is greenish when young & will slowly change color to yellow, orange, then finally maroon when it's ripe. The fruit will be washed, peeled, & cut into thin slices for deep frying (an Indonesian snack). It is apparently good to lower high blood pressure/cholesterol, I can't remember. I didn't really enjoy this cracker since it's not very crispy & it was kinda bitter & tasteless. I don't mind bitter gourd, but Malinja is probably an acquired taste. 

Tahu Telur (RM18.00/serving)
Mountain-high tofu in eggs topped with carrot, cucumber, & beansprout, served with creamy home-made sauce
As its name speaks, the outside feels like deep-fried egg that coats the beancurd. The sauce was savory-sweet. It's alike your tauhu-bakar with shredded cucumbers, but a rather egg-y dish instead of a beancurd dish!

Ayam Penyet (RM18.00/serving)
Indonesian-style grilled chicken in chilli & tomatoes
Unlike the Malay-Indon-style of ayam penyet that we find in the "Ayam Penyet Ria" kinda restaurants, this ayam penyet isn't deep-fried! I find it more like the ayam percik that comes with gravy, but this one is more "tangy" & slightly spicy due to the chilli & load of tomatoes.

Gulai Kambing Cincang (RM25.00/serving)
Lamb shoulder cooked in special curry
This was my favorite dish among the many. The gravy is the star of the dish as it is creamy & well-infused with the fragrance of lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger & a generous helping of herbs & spices that didn't over-power the dish, but brought it to a pleasing level. Well done! Oh, they don't use coconut milk as well, but evaporated milk. 

Pucuk Paku Chilli (RM12.00/serving)
Taste was good, but I find the ferns a little old. The stalks/stems were fiberish, unlike the ones I had at Jeff Lee's kitchen. They serve the best paku veggie in town, I feel! 

Sundanese Dancing Fish (RM37.00/serving)
Crispy fried ikan nila/talapia merah
I find this dish nicely presented, but taste-wise, I don't find it very spectacular. The fried fish is kinda small, so it's not very meaty. It's not heavily seasoned too, so I find it slightly bland. I guess they're depending on the 3 sauces for flavour. Armada Hotels' version of "flying fish" was the best-tasting that I had so far; presentation was pretty impressive too! Dancing fish vs Flying Fish, I think Armada's excel with flying colors :D

I won't mind going to Brisik again for their decent Indonesian-Thai dishes, but I do find it pricey for the portion, taste, & ambiance. Perhaps it'll be a good halal place for gatherings/meet-ups, but if I'm to go alone, I don't think I'll pop-by Brisik.


Brisik Restaurant
Lot M3-1, Palm Square, Jaya One
72A Jalan Universiti
Seksyen 13
46200 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan.
Tel: (+603) 7958 6681/ (+6016) 616 3666
Business hours: Mon – Fri, 11:00a.m. - 3:00p.m.; 6:00p.m. - 10:00p.m., Sat – Sun 11:00a.m. - 10:00p.m.
Email: brisikdagang@gmail.com


Ratings:
Presentation: * * *1/2
Price: * * 1/2
Environment: * * *
Taste: * * *
Service: * * *


Overall:






Love the drinks at Brisik,

2 comments:

Spicy Sharon July 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM  

babe! im going there this friday! FD gath also! haha how to get there?! same row as cold storage is it?

PerutBesi July 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM  

@Mizz Sharon: Ah, nice! I didn't wanna go cos I've been before already :) It's quite easy to get there. It's the other end of Cold Storage in a way. Take the escalator up to the floor where Starbucks is located. Brisik is upstairs...you can walk up from the stairs beside Duck King, I think...or some Chinese restaurant. Go to JayaOne's website for more details if need :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP